You might be wondering what effect does a negative keyword cause in a PPC campaign, the answer is well known. Use of negative keyword functions well to exclude terms from your campaign and helps you to only focus on a certain keyword that is only relevant to your topic. In simple words, a negative keyword performs the function of filtering out unwanted traffic that a non-relating search term might invite to your website. This practice maximizes the ROI of a Google Ad Campaign. SocialPulsar introduces 2 vital steps that depict the proper usage of negative keyword in Google paid search campaigns.
Step 1: Identifying negative keywords
Selecting ideas that will never make sense is the first and foremost approach in identifying negative keywords. These can include:
- Questions: “why”, “how”, “what”, “when”, “who”
- Entertainment seekers: “news”, “died”, “happen”, “real”, “today”
- Accidental industry “budget-bombing”
- Random search terms that will never relate to your business
There are 3 methods to find negative keywords they are: Manual searching, Google suggest, and keyword research.
Step 2: Applying your negatives
Once you have successfully identified your keyword the next step is to apply it effectively.
The negatives that we obtained can be applied to one of the three-match types
- Broad: the word (or words) is anywhere present in the search query.
- Phrase: the word (or words) is anywhere present in the search query in order.
- Exact: the word (or words) itself is the search query (nothing added, nothing missing).
The most important aspect to note is that negative keywords do not account for close variants. Additionally, search networks cap negatives at 10,000 per campaign.
Applications of negative keyword
- Negative keywords for DSA campaigns: If you preparing to run a dynamic search ad campaign you will need to include all keywords you are actively targeting as negative keywords.
- Using Branded/Competitor as negatives everywhere save for branded campaigns: This helps to ensure that your campaign runs well with the intended budget.
Being the best PPC agency in USA, SocialPulsar provides one-stop solution for all your paid search campaign requirements. We offer a streamlined strategical approach towards the service.